Sustainability takes time. If you want something to last, you need to go slow. Want good grades? Study often. Want more fitness? Exercise often. Want to play the flute? Practice often. Want better relationships? Listen often.
Good things can come from repetition. A fabulous relationship isn’t built in a day. It takes years to build, then sustain trust.
So I’m worried. Our relations with our Middle Eastern neighboring countries isn’t looking so good. We’re embracing the default us versus them mentality. We aren’t looking at the deeper realities. We see what we want to see. Nothing good can come from retaliation. It’s shortsighted. And the bullying goes on.
Last night I started really thinking about forgiveness. It is the slow road to everything. It takes time to release the hurts of the past. But it is possible. It truly is.
Below I compiled a few words of forgiveness. Please feel free to add yours.
- Two wrongs make two wrongs. One wrong + forgiveness = the beginning of something wonderful.
- If someone wronged you, reach for forgiveness. It will set you free. I promise.
- No wrongful act is ever justified. But forgiveness always is.
- Gratitude – and its cousin joy – comes automatically when we learn to let things go.
- Die Liebe hat eine enorme Kraft. Vergebung ebenso (Love has enormous power; as does forgiveness).
- Forgiveness isn’t about another person. It’s about you.
- When we move out of the shadows of hatred, we can shed the light of forgiveness.
- I don’t know about you; but when I hold on to shit, it stinks.
- Nothing is more moving than grief turned into forgiveness. We may lose a lot in this life, but what we gain through those experiences is immeasurable.
- Regret is about holding onto the past; forgiveness paves the way for the future.
Why should we forgive? Because the alternative harms everyone; including yourself.